President's Report - January 2013
CNM Spring Term Under Way
CNM’s 2012 Spring Term began Jan. 7, but registration for full-term classes continues through Jan. 11. CNM continues to offer a wide variety of scheduling options to accommodate many different scheduling needs. Scheduling choices include evening, night, weekend and online distance-learning classes, as well as many condensed, short-term schedules with different start and end dates. For course offerings, visit cnm.edu and click on Schedule of Classes. For more info, call 224-3000.
Governing Board Seats Up for Election Feb. 5
Five seats on the CNM Governing Board will be up for election on Feb. 5. Candidates must live within the CNM District and the deadline to file for candidacy is Dec. 18. Four of the positions to be filled through the election will be for Districts 1, 3, 5 and 7, which will be four-year terms. The fifth position for District 2 will be for a two-year term to complete the remainder of an unfinished term that commenced in 2011. Go to cnm.edu for more information on the Governing Board election.
CNM Earns Top Economic Development Award from NAIOP
At its annual Awards of Excellence event in December, the New Mexico chapter of the commercial real estate development association NAIOP presented CNM with its distinguished “Vision Award” for outstanding contributions to the region’s economy. “Thousands of students receive their education at CNM and find a job and a better life for themselves and their families,” the NAIOP award presentation stated. Previous winners of the NAIOP Vision Award include Intel and Presbyterian Rust Medical Center.
Tax Help New Mexico Prepares to Begin Another Season of Free Tax Preparation
CNM’s Tax Help New Mexico program will open its doors for the upcoming tax season in
February. The Tax Help program offers free tax preparation service to New Mexico households that earned $51,000 or less in 2012 and to all those who are age 65 and older. Tax Help New Mexico volunteers, who are certified by the IRS, are trained to help taxpayers take advantage of tax credits they’re entitled to, like the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit. For those interested in volunteering as a tax preparer, trainings will be held Jan. 14-17 from 8 a.m. to noon or Jan. 14-17 from 2 to 6 p.m. Volunteers who complete the training will receive a certificate from the IRS and from the Tax Help New Mexico program. Email GAlires@cnm.edu for more information.
Record Number of Students Participated in Fall Graduation Ceremony
The thrill of becoming a college graduate as thousands of supporters cheer from the seats of Tingley Coliseum is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that continues to gain in popularity. In December at Tingley, more than 620 graduates walked in the Fall 2012 CNM Graduation Ceremony, which set the college record for participation in a graduation ceremony. The previous record was set in the Spring 2012 Graduation Ceremony, when 575 graduates walked. Participation in the graduation ceremonies, which are held at the end of the spring and fall terms, has been on the rise the last few years. Albuquerque Mayor Richard J. Berry delivered the keynote address in December in front of a crowd of about 8,000.
Grant Provides Free Job Training in Green Building Practices
The CNM Workforce Training Center has received a grant from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions to offer free job training opportunities to those who qualify. The job training opportunities, conducted through short-term courses, lead to certifications that enhance employment prospects in the areas of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), home and building weatherization installation, and home and building energy efficiency analysis. The job training programs include:
- BPI Building Analyst – Jan. 28-Feb. 1, 2013, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Workforce Training Center: This course prepares participants to conduct a comprehensive inspection and diagnostic analysis of a home’s energy consumption, paying special attention to health and safety issues that can arise during energy efficiency improvements.
- LEED Certification Prep Classes for Green Associate and AP – Jan. 22-March 12, 2013 on Tuesdays from 2:30-5 p.m. at the Workforce Training Center: This training is designed to teach the knowledge needed to pass the LEED Green Advantage and Accredited Professional national exam. Participants learn an overview of the LEED process and LEED requirements in areas like energy and water efficiency and environmental guidelines.
- LEED for Contractors, Certification Prep Classes for Green Associate and AP – Feb. 20-March 27, 2013 from 2:30-5 p.m. at the Workforce Training Center: This course is designed to provide background and resources for construction professionals who are working on or plan to work on commercial buildings pursuing LEED certification.
- LEED for Contractors, Operations and Maintenance – April 2-30, 2013, from 2:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays at the Workforce Training Center: This course addresses whole-building cleaning and maintenance issues, including chemical use, recycling programs, exterior maintenance and mechanical systems upgrades.
- Weatherization Installer – April 8-17 at the Workforce Training Center, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: This program provides 48 hours of comprehensive training that, upon completion, includes a Department of Energy approved certificate for Weatherization Installer. Participants learn how to identify and fix air leaks in areas such as ventilation, attics, electrical and plumbing pathways through walls, window panes and many other areas.
Those who qualify for the free job training opportunities include workers displaced because of the economic conditions, current workers in these fields, military veterans and qualifying spouses, those who did not finish high school and those who qualify as low income. For more information, call the Workforce Training Center at 224-5271 or email email@example.com.
CNM is grateful for recent donations to the CNM Foundation from these donors:
- Michael and Karen Glennon
- Carl and Martha Koestner
- Ted and Dolores Martinez
- Robert (Mike) White and Donna Alesch White
- Peter and Ann Ziegler
Wishing You All the Best in 2013!
Kathie W. Winograd