Assessment Process & Report Forms
For newly approved areas/programs/disciplines (and for any areas/programs/disciplines for which an assessment cycle plan has not already been submitted to SAAC), the following must be completed by the dates indicated:
- Enter student learning outcome statements (SLOs) into the curriculum management system by the first day of the following June.
- Develop and submit by October 15 a 5-year assessment cycle plan (using the form provided by SAAC). At least one outcome should be assessed each year. All outcomes, where feasible, should be assessed within the 5-year cycle. SAAC requests/strongly recommends that each outcome be assessed for at least two consecutive years.
For existing areas/programs/disciplines, the assessment process is as follows:
- Assess, all outcomes, where feasible, over a 5-year period. At the end of the 5 years, develop a new 5-year assessment cycle plan (which is due by October 15 of the year in which the new plan will be implemented).
- Submit assessment reports by October 15 of each year.
- The reporting period runs from Summer (for which assessment is optional) through the following Spring.
The Director of Student Learning Assessment is responsible for facilitating and tracking report completion and posting submitted reports to the SAAC web pages. The Director of Student Learning Assessment will also be available upon request to assist the faculty with course and/or program assessment planning. Click here to see who else does what on the administrative end to keep CNM's assessment process rolling.
CNM Assessment Report Forms
Find guidelines for filling out the forms on the Faculty Resources for Assessment page.
Assessment Record Retention
To ensure that documentation is available to support longitudinal comparisons in ongoing program assessment and to produce evidentiary archives for internal process evaluation and accreditation review, the following records should be submitted in electronic format to the Director of Student Learning Assessment by October 15 of the reporting year and also retained within the school (in electronic or paper format) for seven years following the October 15 due date:
- The initial cycle plan for each 5-year assessment cycle
The separate cycle plan form, completed at the beginning of the five-year cycle, is submitted during the first year only. Revisions to the cycle plan during the cycle are to be noted in the annual assessment report.
- Annual assessment report
- One copy of any written assessment instrument referenced in the annual assessment report
SAAC requests retention of the master copy only, not individual students’ records. According to CNM academic policy, students’ records are to be retained for a minimum of one semester following course completion; SAAC does not request any additional retention of students’ individual assessment documents.
If specific assessment questions were embedded within other course documents, only the questions used for the assessment need to be retained.
If no written assessment instruments are referenced in the assessment report, then no supportive documentation is required.
- A summary of any data analysis supporting the assessment findings noted in the annual assessment report
SAAC requests retention of data at the aggregate level only. If individual students’ results are retained, the format should be such that the identity of individual students is not discernible.
Examples of summary data include score frequency tables, item analyses (response frequencies by item), and the results of any statistical analyses (correlations, t-tests, Chi Square studies, etc.).
If no data analysis was conducted beyond what has already been presented in the assessment report, then no supportive documentation is required.