You are here: Home / Departments / Academic Advisement & Job Connection Services / About Us / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What should I bring when I meet with an Academic Advisor?

You are required to present a photo ID to sign in for your appointment.  Please bring in a list of questions and educational interests for your advisor to discuss with you.  If you are transferring from another college/university, please submit official transcripts to CNM's Records Office at:

CNM Records Office
525 Buena Vista Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106

2. How can I contact an Academic Advisor?
There are four ways to contact an Academic Advisor:

  • In person, by appointment:  Current and continuing students can schedule Academic Advisement appointments through their myCNM account. Click here for online appointment instructions. Students can also schedule an appointment by calling (505) 224-4321.
  • Online Real-time chat: Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm, with the last request accepted at 4:40 pm.
  • Email:  Response is provided within 24 hours, during regular business hours.
  • Request a return phone call: Call 224-4321 to leave a message for an Academic Advisor. Response is provided within 24 hours, during regular business hours.

*In compliance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), only limited information can be provided by phone, email or online chat.

3. Do I need to make an appointment to get career advice?

Yes, you need to schedule an appointment. Scheduling an appointment with an advisor will provide an in-depth discussion regarding your career questions. You can learn about career opportunities, salary information, up-to-date data on career trends and degree or certificate requirements that can help you reach your career goals.

You can also visit our Career & Transfer Information Centers, (CTIC) located at the Main and Montoya campuses. Students can access online career assessments and the many other career related resources in the CRC.

4. How do I get clearance to enroll in a class at CNM when I took the prerequisite at another college?

You should have official transcripts on file in the Records Office indicating that you have completed required course prerequisites. However, if you have never attended CNM, you are granted a one-time prerequisite clearance with unofficial transcripts through the Records Office. You will need to follow-up with official transcripts if you intend to enroll at CNM in the future.  You must seek approval for the clearance BEFORE attempting to register or waitlist for courses.

The One-time request for prerequisite clearance form is used to meet general education requirements.  Click here for additional details.

If the prerequisite is a career and technical course, visit the school housing the course.  More information is available in the CNM catalog.

5. What do I do if I have been dropped from a class?

If you have been dropped from a class for non-payment, re-register for the class if it is available or look for other open sections. Be aware of registration deadlines.  If a class is closed, you may sign up for the Wait List if it is available.

If you have been dropped from a class by the instructor for non-attendance or other reasons based on your instructor’s class requirements, you must contact your instructor to discuss the reasons why you were dropped. Feel free to meet with an Academic Advisor with any additional questions.

6. What can I do if the class I would like to enroll in is full?

If the class has a Wait List, sign up and check your CNM email daily. You will be notified via email if space opens up. You have 36 hours to register for the class.  You should continue searching for open sections or alternate courses if a Wait List is unavailable.

7. Do I have to apply for graduation?

Yes, you must apply for graduation during the term in which you are completing your final program requirements. Check the graduation link for more information regarding the application process.  Contact an Academic Advisor with any additional questions. CNM has two (2) graduation ceremonies each year – spring and fall. See you there!

8. How do I change my major?

You are able to change your major by using the “Students” tab of your myCNM account.  If you would like to discuss your plans to change your major, meet with an Academic Advisor.  Contact the Financial Aid Office to see how a change of major may affect your financial aid status. Please be aware that some programs are not eligible for financial aid. Click here for a list of ineligible, 2014-15 programs. Click here for a list of ineligible, 2014-15 courses.