Student Loan Deferment
How to Request a Student Loan Deferment
- Contact your student loan servicer and request an 'in-school' deferment form.
If you are unsure who your servicer is, log in to the National Student Loan Data System: http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ (you will need your FAFSA PIN).
If the loan is a private/alternative loan, the student will need to refer to their promissory note and contact the lender to determine if there are any deferment options available.
- Student needs to be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours for the term or the credit hours required by their lender.
Classes with a grade mode of Audit are not part of the required six (6) credit hours.
- Student submits CNM Records for processing, after the census date for the class. Check for the census date.
For Continuing Students, CNM will Notify the Following Agencies of Enrollment Status
- The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) of their enrollment. Then NSC notifies to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- If a quicker notice to your loan servicer is needed, the student can take the loan deferment form to the CNM Records office for processing.