A deferment authorization allows a student to charge educational costs (books and supplies) against any financial aid the student is scheduled to receive. CNM offers deferments because financial aid checks are released after the term begins.
- CNM allows you to charge your books if you are making satisfactory academic progress and all required paperwork for your financial aid Pell file has been submitted.
- A deferment allowing you to charge your books at CNM is an unofficial award based on a preliminary estimate of your eligibility.
To request a financial aid deferment :
After logging into your my CNM account, you will need to click on the Financial Aid tab. Notice that in the “Financial Aid Requirements” Section, if you have not signed the deferment form, it will state “Sign the Deferment Authorization Form.” Click on this statement and complete the form online.
CNM students may rescind the deferment authorization at any time during their enrollment at CNM.
If you have been suspended from receiving financial aid, you are not eligible for a deferment unless your appeal has been approved.
If your financial aid is canceled for any reason, or if your financial aid does not cover all your charges, or if the charges are not deducted from your aid, then you are responsible for paying in full any charges owed to the CNM Bookstore. Your account may be turned over for collection
When you defer your costs, CNM deducts what you owe from your financial aid check.
Bookstore charges that are allowed at CNM:
- Equipment required for class
- Lab supplies
- Other supplies written and required by the course instructor
- Paper, notebooks
- Pens, pencils, erasers
- Tape recorders and blank cassettes
- Tools and kits
Bookstore charges that are not allowed at CNM:
- Personal hygiene products
- Snacks, candy, beverages, or other food items
- Stereo equipment, radios