Lottery Questions and Answers
As a new freshman at CNM you may be working toward a Legislative Lottery Scholarship. What you do in your first term will determine if you qualify for the Legislative Lottery Scholarship starting in your second term of college.
The first term after receiving your diploma is very important. It is called your Qualifying Term. The Legislative Lottery Scholarship eligibility is based on credits and grades earned during the Qualifying Term only. You must earn a minimum 12 credits at CNM with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or better in your Qualifying Term to be awarded the Lottery the following term. Qualifying Term Requirements cannot be made up. Credits earned can be college level or developmental of 750 level or higher.
- Credits are earned in classes with traditional grade and credit/no credit classes of 750 level or higher. Classes completed with grades of F, NC, I, W, and AU, as well as ESOL and ESL do not count toward credits earned.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) is the average of traditional letter grades, A, B, C, D, and F. The grade of CR counts towards total credit hours completed but does not affect GPA. GPA will be based only on the grades you receive in the traditional grade classes.
- Dual Credit students need to be re-admitted to CNM, you will need to apply to CNM again; this will move you out of Dual Credit status into readmitted, continuing student or beginning freshman status. It is this new date that is used to determine Bridge to Success eligibility. To be considered for the Bridge to Success Scholarship you must be readmitted prior to May 1st.
- All records including those classes attempted while you were in high school as a Dual Credit student are a permanent part of your student record. Dual Credit classes affect GPA, completion rate, and are counted in number of credits attempted. Your complete record is used to determine financial aid eligibility.
- Credits and grades earned prior to the Qualifying Term will not be used to determine eligibility for the Legislative Lottery Scholarship. Students who have a Dual Credit GPA below 2.5 will need to contact scholarship personnel for an evaluation of eligibility each term that your cumulative GPA is below 2.50. You will not have a scholarship award until you are approved by scholarship personnel.
- You can be awarded Lottery for up to three terms or receipt of an Associate Degree at CNM, a two year institution.
If you do not meet eligibility requirements each term - that includes twelve credits and a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA - then you are no longer eligible for the Lottery.
- Students with a qualified disability, who are registered with CNM Disability Resource Center, may qualify for a reduced number of credits. Qualified students need to meet with their DRC Counselor and complete a signed contract indicating the revised number of credits required prior to each term. The Legislative Lottery for Students with Disabilities Referral Form must be submitted to Financial Aid and Scholarship Services before the start to the term. Eligibility can be extended to a maximum of six terms, one added term for each term with a signed contract. All other Lottery requirements remain unchanged.