Web Hosting for Students
Students can create and maintain personal web sites on the w3.cnm.edu web server.
This server requires the use of any web authoring software that supports web publishing via SSH, such as Adobe's Dreamweaver. The w3.cnm.edu web server has support for the following:
- PHP Web Scripting Language
- PERL Web Scripting Language
To have your web account generated on w3.cnm.edu, you must access the server via the Secure Shell software (also called SSH). SSH is pre-installed on all computers on CNM's campuses. You must download SSH if you are working from home and don't already have it installed. The steps for logging in to the w3.cnm.edu web server using SSH are below.
Launch SSH and click on the "Quick Connect" button. Enter the following information at the prompt.
Host Name : w3.cnm.edu
User Name : Enter Your my CNM user name
- When prompted for a password, use the password you use to enter my CNM . Once you have successfully logged in, you will be taken to your home directory.
- Type "ls" (without the quotes) to view your folders. You should see one called "public_html". This is the folder where you will need to upload your html files. If you do not see this folder, contact the ITS Service Desk.
- If you are familiar with the SSH software and unix commands you can create and upload your web site using only the SSH software. If not, type "exit" and open a wysiwyg editor such as Dreamweaver.