Safety and Security at CNM
Safety at CNM
Please review CNM's Emergency Procedures so you're more informed on what to do in the event that you're confronted by an active shooter or other dangerous event on any CNM campus.
Watch the video below and remember to "Run, Hide, Fight" if you ever find yourself in a life-threatening, active shooter situation.
The video was created for the City of Houston in partnership with Homeland Security.
RUN > HIDE > FIGHT >
Surviving an Active Shooter Event
When an active shooter is in your vicinity:
- If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate
- Evacuate whether others agree to or not
- Leave your belongings behind
- Help others escape if possible
- Prevent others from entering the area
- Call 9-1-1 when you are safe
If an evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide.
- Lock and/or blockade the door
- Silence your cell phone
- Hide behind large objects
- Remain very quiet
Your hiding place should:
- Be out of the shooter's view
- Provide protection of shots are fired in your direction
- Not trap or restrict your options for movement
As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger:
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
- Act with physical aggression
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
Call 9-1-1 or 224-3001 in an emergency.
When CNM Security or law enforcement arrives:
- Remain calm and follow instructions
- Keep your hands visible at all times
- Avoid pointing or yelling
- Know that help for the injured is on the way