Starting a Chartered Student Organization at CNM
This Charter Packet is to be filled out to start a Chartered Student Organization (CSO) at CNM and must be officially approved by the CNM Student Organization Chartering Committee* on an annual basis (official student governance organizations are excluded).
The Charter Packets are due in the Student Activities Office by 5:00pm on Friday, September 20, 2013. The chartering process for the 2013/2014 academic school year (Fall 2013 through Summer 2014) begins during the summer semester with chartering decisions made by Friday, September 27, 2013.
CSOs are encouraged to submit the renewal of charter in order to begin CSO activity the first day of the Fall semester. Chartering delays may affect funding, event/activity planning and purchasing requests. CSO approvals and correspondence will take place only through CNM e-mail accounts for the CSO Advisor and Officers.
New CSOs may be started at CNM with the approval of the Student Organization Chartering Committee.* In order to be considered for approval as a CSO the following must occur:
- The CSO charter packet must be filled out completely (incomplete packets will not be considered and will delay approvals). This charter packet requires that the forms listed below must be completed (in their entirety) and returned to the Student Activities Office in SSC202 no later than Friday, September 20, 2013 by 5:00pm.
- Advisor Contract/Non-exclusionary Statement
- CSO Chartering Application Form
- Active Members List
- Copy of the organization's governing document
- By-laws, constitution, meeting rules or operating guidelines
- Web Page Information
- The proposed CSO must have a designated advisor. The advisor must be a current full-time or part-time CNM employee and must attend (along with all of the organization officers) a mandatory CSO Training Session once annually or upon request. Supplemental training regarding specific aspects of advising a CSO may be required for all advisors and officers. The advisor and officers are responsible for understanding the policies and procedures that govern CSOs at CNM and to ensure these are adhered to by the CSO.
- The roster of proposed members for the proposed CSO must include a minimum of eight (8) active student members/participants four (4), including officers Four (4). All student members/participants must be enrolled in at least three (3) credit hours.
*The Student Organization Chartering Committee is made up of the Dean of Students, the Director of Student Conduct and Responsibilities, the Student Activities Coordinator, one faculty member, and one student leader as appointed by the Dean of Students.
- All CSO officers must be current CNM students and in good academic standing (GPA 2.0 or higher).
- The proposed CSO must have a name.
- The proposed CSO must have a mission statement or statement of purpose.
- The proposed CSO must have a governing document, such as a constitution, by-laws, or guidelines.
- If aligning with a National or International organization, the CNM Rule Agreement Form will need to be reviewed and signed by the CSO. This will occur during the actual CSO Training Session.
- The proposed CSO must have web page information.
Once the requirements listed above have been met, the request will be considered at a Student Organization Chartering Committee meeting. The decision regarding approval as a CSO will be made based on the following criteria:
- Is the application packet complete and have the minimum requirements for consideration been met?
- Is the mission statement or statement of purpose of the CSO clear?
- Is the mission statement or statement of purpose of the group new or different or is there an existing CSO which could be expanded to meet the needs of the proposed CSO?
- If the request is to renew a charter, has the organization in the past followed established policies, procedures and guidelines regarding CSOs and are they currently in “good standing” with the Office of the Dean of Students? All CSOs at CNM must abide by all CNM policies and procedures in order to remain in good standing.
The advisor for the proposed CSO will be notified regarding the decision of the chartering committee by the Student Activities Coordinator no later than Friday, October 04, 2013 through their CNM e-mail account. It is the Advisors responsibility to check their CNM e-mail on a regular basis and if they are not receiving any e-mails from the Student Activities Office it is the Advisors responsibility to contact the Student Activities Coordinator to resolve the problem.
CNM e-mail accounts will be the only method used by the Student Activities Office to communicate with Advisors and Officers. It is the responsibility of the Advisor to notify CSO officers/members of the outcome.
* The Student Organization Chartering Committee is made up of the Dean of Students, the Director of Student Conduct and Responsibilities, the Student Activities Coordinator, one faculty member, and one student leader as appointed by the Dean of Students.