How much do I have to make to qualify for assistance from the CNM Tax Help New Mexico Program?
The program helps New Mexico residents with an annual household income of less than $54,000, as well as those over 65 years of age.
How much does it cost to have my return prepared?
We are a free service. There is no fee for your return to be prepared at a Tax Help New Mexico site.
Can you prepare my state return?
Your New Mexico personal income tax return can be prepared at any of our sites. We do not prepare other state tax returns.
Do you prepare prior year returns?
Prior year returns are prepared at some sites. Please check with your closest site to see if, and when, they are able to prepare prior year returns. Sites that are able to prepare prior year returns typically do so in March only.
Are you open year round?
Tax Help New Mexico sites are typically open from February 1 to April 15. If a site has extended operating times, it will be advertised at the site.
What documents should I bring for my meeting with the tax preparer?
The documents needed for accurate tax filings vary from one individual to the next. See this page to get an idea what you should bring.
Why do I have to have my social security card or ITIN card/letter for all persons listed on my return?
Part of our quality service is to verify that all information on a return is correct.
Do I really need a photo ID?
Yes. Taxpayers and their spouse (if married) need to provide a photo ID at the time of the return preparation. Photo IDs for dependents are not required.
Do I need to bring my child's birth certificate?
No. You do not need to bring your child's birth certificate.
Is there a fee for electronic filing?
There is no fee to file your return electronically.
Can I have my refund deposited directly into my bank account?
You can have your refund directly deposited. This is the safest and quickest method of receiving your refund. You can split your federal refund between up to three accounts. You can also use your federal refund to purchase Series I Savings Bonds. Your name has to on the account you use for direct deposit.
Can I make an appointment to have my taxes prepared?
Check the individual site information to see if they prepare returns by appointment. Albuquerque sites operate on a first-come/first-served basis.
Does the type of income I earn affect my ability to get assistance from Tax Help New Mexico?
Tax Help New Mexico volunteers can prepare returns with the types of income listed below:
- Wages, salaries, tips
- Scholarships and Pell Grants
- Interest income and tax-exempt interest
- Taxable state refunds
- Alimony income
- Self-employment income
- Income from stock transactions and other capital gains and losses
- IRA distributions
- Pensions and annuities
- Royalty income
- Unemployment compensation
- Social Security income, SSI and SSDI
- Veterans income
- Other income, such as tribal distributions, jury duty pay, and winnings from gambling.
Does the program help people with my specific filing status?
Tax Help New Mexico will prepare returns for people with the following filing statuses:
- Head of Household
- Qualifying Widow(er)
- Married Filing Jointly
Can Tax Help New Mexico prepare returns that include any types of deductions, adjustments or expenses?
Tax Help New Mexico volunteers can prepare returns with the following adjustments, expenses and credits:
- Self-employment expenses such as miles, materials, office supplies, and other expenses incurred under $10,000
- Alimony paid to a former spouse
- IRA deductions
- Student loan interest paid
- Tuition, fees, and books related to higher education expenses paid by the taxpayer for themselves or a dependent
- Foreign taxes paid up to $300 or $600 if married filing joint
- Amounts paid for child and dependent care
- Retirement savings contributions
- Child tax credit
- Residential energy credits for energy efficiency improvements for the taxpayer's main home
- Estimated taxes paid
- Earned income credit
- Additional child tax credit
- First-time homebuyer credit repayment
- Shared responsibility payment
- Repayment of Premium tax credit
Are there any types of returns that Tax Help New Mexico won't prepare?
Tax Help New Mexico will NOT prepare the following:
- Married Filing Separate returns
- Self-employment with a home office, depreciation, amortization, employee expense or total expenses more than $10,000
- Complicated & advanced capital gains and losses
- Rental income and expenses
- Request for social security number
- Employee business expenses
- Moving expenses
- Non-deductible IRAs
- Minor's investment income
- Any state tax return other than New Mexico or Arizona
- Farm income