Students Volunteer Help Ruidoso Rebuild from 2012 Fire
CNM students, staff and faculty who traveled to Ruidoso to help rebuild from a fire that destroyed 125 structures.
The students are members of CNM’s chapter of SkillsUSA, which aims to prepare students in the career technical education fields to excel as professionals when they graduate.
The students, traveling with SkillsUSA advisors who are also faculty or staff members at CNM, volunteered the skills they learned to the following projects:
- Reinforced metal beams
- Installed tile over cement floors
- Removed carpets and installed laminate floors
- Cut pipe and built metal structures for shade
- Installed 24 ceiling fans
- Diagnosed furnace issues
- Replaced the roof of a gazebo
- Built a retaining wall
- Repaired or diagnosed issues with eight vehicles
The students also participated in SkillsUSA leadership workshops while in Ruidoso from Nov. 2-4.