Military Duty Policy
This Student Policy on Military Duty shall apply to currently enrolled students at CNM who are 1) serving on active duty in the military and who receive orders transferring them to a duty station outside of the CNM District or prohibiting their continued enrollment at CNM or 2) are members of the New Mexico National Guard and/or reserves and are called to active duty. In such cases, CNM will follow the procedures listed below upon representation of official military orders by the affected student.
- A student withdrawing from CNM prior to 80 percent completion of a term of any length will be withdrawn from class with no grade or enrollment penalties imposed. A full refund of tuition will be processed.
- To withdraw the student must submit a copy of their official military orders for deployment and the CNM Military Deployment Form. This form may be obtained in the Registration Office at any CNM location and online at cnm.edu.
- Once the Registration Office receives and processes the withdrawal form, the student then contacts the Cashiers Office at either the Main or Montoya Campus regarding a full refund of tuition. Tuition is refunded according to the original method of payment.
- A student withdrawing after completion of 80 percent of a term of any length may receive full credit for each course in which he/she is enrolled provided the instructor certifies a grade of C or better for the course at the date of formal withdrawal. A student with a grade lower than a C will be withdrawn with no grade or enrollment penalties imposed and a full refund will be processed. After 80 percent completion of a term, a student must choose either a grade assignment or a tuition refund.
- The student must confirm their choice by submitting a copy of their official military orders for deployment and the CNM Military Deployment Form. This form may be obtained in the Registration Office at any CNM location and online at cnm.edu.
- If the student chooses a final grade for each course, the Registration Office will notify each instructor of the student’s deployment. The instructor will record a final grade as of the date the Registration Office receives notification or the date of deployment, whichever is sooner.
- A student scheduled to graduate, who has completed 80 percent of the work in courses in which he/she is enrolled for that term, may be certified for graduation provided these courses would complete his/her degree or certificate.
Note: Annual military reserve training is not considered active duty and therefore, is ineligible for the CNM Military Duty Policy.