Information for Faculty

If you have questions about the Academic Adjustments and Auxiliary Aids or Services listed on a SAS, you should talk with the counselor who signed the SAS. The Disability Resource Center Counselor will not talk about what the disability is, but can provide some information on how the disability affects the student.

On this page you will find links to resources and information to assist you in working with students with disabilities. Some of this information has been developed by your colleagues and some has been prepared by Disability Resource Center staff.

Some information for instructors to remember

Disability Resource Center coordinates services for students with documented disabilities.

Students who have registered with the Disability Resource Center and are in need of Academic Adjustments or Auxiliary Aids or Services, will provide you with a copy of their Student Accommodation Statement (SAS) signed by the Disability Resource Center Counselor.

Generally speaking, you are not required to provide accommodations to a student who has not provided you with a Student Accommodation Statement. If the disability is an obvious one, though — a student in a wheel chair, for example — you would not necessarily need a Student Accommodation Statement to arrange for a raised computer table so the student would have access to the computer.

Student Accommodation Statements (SAS) (see example here) can change over time even though many disabilities do not change. In an effort to ensure that students' needs are being met, they should meet with their DRC Counselor at least once a year. A SAS will remain in effect for a year at a time. There are times when a temporary SAS is developed, but it is labeled as such and an expiration date is noted.

The law does not say we have to provide a staff note taker for every student. It is concerned with equal access to the information. So, a volunteer student who provides copies of notes can be an appropriate auxiliary aid or service. Think of it as a service to the community. Many instructors provide extra credit for service learning projects.

Students who need assistance in accessing information in the class may use several options, which will be listed on their Student Accommodation Statement. Examples:

  • A tape recorder to record the class information
  • A volunteer student in the class to provide copies of their notes
  • A copy of instructor's notes
  • a staff Reader/Writer

If there is information you feel you would like to see on this page, please contact the Director of the Disability Resources Center.

More information about working with students with disabilities can be found in the Faculty Handbook (PDF).