Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit the FAFSA?

You may file your FAFSA anytime after October 1st of each year. If you are filing a renewal application, you will be required to log on with your FSA ID.

You may request a paper application be sent to you by calling 1-800-4FEDAID. Allow four to six weeks for the FAFSA to be processed if you mail the paper application and two to three weeks if you file the FAFSA online. We highly encourage you to submit a FAFSA online as the process is guided and less prone to error.

How do I request an IRS transcript request with line items if I don't have my federal tax returns to complete the FAFSA?

Review the information at this link for details.

My parents don't support me or claim me on their taxes. Why do I need their tax information on the FAFSA?

The government has established criteria to determine dependency status for undergraduates. If you do not meet these criteria, you are considered financially dependent. It does not matter whether or not you live with your parents, receive support from them, or that you are not being claimed on their tax returns. For the exact criteria used on the FAFSA check out  

My financial situation has changed since filing the FAFSA. What should I do?

Visit with a financial aid advisor for more information on how to proceed. Adequate documentation will be required to support any adjustments to your application.

My SAR isn't accurate. How do I correct it?

If you have been selected for verification, you should submit the required documents to CNM Financial Aid and Scholarship Services and allow them to make the changes. If you weren't selected, corrections can be made at

Whose financial information do I report on the FAFSA if my parents are divorced?

Report information for the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months. If you haven't received support from either parent during the last 12 months, report information for the parent from whom you most recently received support or lived with. If the parent is remarried, you must also report income and asset information for your step-parent.

I have been awarded a scholarship and I am thinking of dropping a class, will this affect my award?

In order to continue receiving scholarship awards, including Lottery, students must meet specific academic requirements. See the Scholarships section of this web site.

I've already filed my FAFSA, but CNM is not included on the institution list. What should I do?

The fastest way to add CNM to your FAFSA data is to call the Federal Student Aid Processor at (800) 433-3243. You will need your four-digit Data Release Number (DRN), found on the first page of your SAR, and CNM's six-digit Title IV school code: 004742.

Should I wait until I am admitted to CNM before applying for financial aid?

No. You should file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. However, you must be admitted to CNM before a financial aid award letter will be sent to you.

Why was I selected for verification?

Applications are selected by the federal processor before reaching CNM. If selected, you will need to submit copies of federal tax information and a verification worksheet. Conflicting information will be corrected by the school.

How do grades affect a student's eligibility for financial aid?

Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue receiving financial aid.

What happens to my financial aid if I decide to drop classes or withdraw from the college?

Depending on when you drop classes or withdraw from the college, you may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid you received for the term. Dropping classes or withdrawing may affect your eligibility for the current term and subsequent terms.

I applied for financial aid. Why was I only offered student loans?

Student loans are a form of student financial aid. Grant aid is typically awarded to students demonstrating the highest levels of need. Student loans offer the opportunity to borrow money to help pay for college at a low-interest rate and with repayment terms that would not otherwise be available. No student is required to take out a loan, but in some cases, student loans are the only form of student financial aid for which a student is eligible.

I am back in college. How do I stop making payments on my student loans?

You'll need to submit an enrollment certification form to the CNM Student Records Office which is then mailed back to your lender(s). Contact your lender(s) for more information.

Can I get my tuition and fees deferred until I receive my first VA Education payment?

Yes, (1) on a one time only basis, (2) if you have been approved by the VA to receive benefits and (3) tuition and fees exceed $100.

How many times can I change my program while receiving VA educational benefits?

There is no limit for changing programs; however, there may be a penalty based on credits transferred or if you change schools. You must also notify the CNM VA office if you do decide to change your program.

Do I have to submit a class schedule every term in order for my VA Educational Benefits to continue?

Yes, you must turn in your class schedule to the CNM VA office at Main Campus or have your class schedule approved by an academic advisor at any other campus and forwarded to the Main Campus VA office. A final Class Schedule will be required to prevent changes once a final schedule has been approved by the Certifying VA representative."

Where can I check the status of my financial aid? 

You can check the status, the amount of aid you’ve been awarded, any additional requirements, and much more at Click on Financial Aid.

The Financial Aid Requirements section will list what is needed to complete your file.

How much money will I be getting?

To determine the amount of aid you will be receiving, you would add up the aid showing on your Schedule and Fee statement found in your myCNM account. You would take the financial aid amount(s) in the Student Account Memo and subtract that amount from your charges including any bookstore charges you may have charged at the Bookstore. The remaining will be deposited into your bank account if you signed up for direct deposit with Cashiers or mailed to your address. If you recently registered allow 12 hours for the Schedule Fee statement to update before calculating.

How do I submit documents CNM Financial Aid has requested?

You may email your documents to If you do not have a scanner, you may take clear photos (do not forget the backs) and attach them to the email. PDFs are the preferred file format, however, if you are unsure how to put them in that format submit them as best you can. Make sure documents are completely filled out and try to send them all in one email to avoid delays.

My financial aid has been suspended. How do I get back in good standing?

If you had circumstances that were extenuating and beyond your control, you may submit an appeal. Or you may bring up your GPA and/or completion rate on your own by completing enough courses to bring the completion rate back up to 66.67% and GPA to 2.0. A completion rate of 66.67% is achieved by completing 2/3 of all coursework. Obtaining Ws goes against your completion rate. However, when a student falls below that requirement, they would need to complete courses at a higher rate to bring the completion rate back to the standard 66.67%. This usually means completing 100% of credits without repeating courses that have already been completed. Please review SAP for a further explanation.

The only option for students suspended due to Maximum Time Frame is appealing. Students suspended from financial aid can still register but would not be eligible for federal financial aid (those from the FAFSA). A payment plan is available to hold the classes on the schedule and assist with paying for tuition and fees.

How will CNM notify me?

CNM contacts students through their CNM email address they obtain after being admitted as well as through texts. However, the Department of Education will send updates to the email used to file the FAFSA. These may not be the same email address. CNM will send a separate email to your CNM email address when the FAFSA has been received. Please make sure you have been admitted so that emails and all correspondence will be sent to your CNM email address and check it periodically.

Need additional help filling out the FAFSA?

Filling out the FAFSA form can be a straightforward and easy process. Check out these Department of Education links for help filling out FAFSA and find answers to common questionsHowever, if you still need assistance, contact the EOC (Educational Opportunity Center). For help with specific FAFSA questions, contact us.