Citation Appeal Process
Parking citations may be appealed in writing prior to the due date or online through the myCNM-CNM Parking Permits-Outstanding Citations Link.
You have 16 calendar days from the day the citation was issued to appeal it.
Citation appeals can be done online thru MyCNM Transportation Parking Permit link. Appeals forms are available online and/or can be filled out in person in the Security Office at the CNM Main, Montoya, or Westside Campuses.
A citation that has been appealed is not removed from a person account until the Appeals Committee has made their decision. Depending on the Appeals Committee’s decision, a citation is either dismissed (the fee is waived and it is not owed) or the citation is upheld (the fee is owed). If a citation is paid to release a hold and the appeal is then found to be dismissed a refund is issued but if upheld the citation would remain paid.
Parking Services processes appeals but does not make the decision on the appeal. The appeals committee which is made up of a faculty, a staff, and a student make the decision whether to dismiss your appeal in which case you owe nothing or to up hold your appeal in which case do you have to pay the citation.
Parking Services administrative office is located at the Basehart portables (BT3). However no payment or appeals will be taken at the the parking office. All payments are done through the CNM Cashiers Office. For questions, contact the CNM Parking Services Department at (505) 224-4637.
Chief of Safety & Security Appeal Process
Individuals who disapprove of their parking appeal decision made by the CNM Parking Appeals Committee may request an additional appeal review by the Chief of Safety & Security.
Any such request must be written in a letter format addressed to the Chief of Safety & Security within sixteen (16) working days after notification of the original appeal decision. The letter must then be hand delivered to the Security Office.
Contents of the Appeal Request must include the following:
- The name of the individual/organization requesting the appeal.
- The subject/matter being appealed and the date the appeal hearing took place;
- The grounds for the requested appeal. The appeal must be based on one or more of the following grounds:
- Procedural or prejudicial error was committed. The specific errors alleged must be stated;
- The facts upon which the decision was based included inaccurate information. The inaccurate information appealed from must be stated;
- Information not offered during the appeals committee hearing is now available. The reason why the information was not offered during the original appeal committee hearing must be stated;
- The sanction imposed is excessive or inappropriate. The reason for believing this must be stated.
Decision on Appeal:
- Upon review of the appeal, the Chief of Safety & Security, or his/her designee, may take any of the following actions:
- Deny the appeal request.
- Grant the appeal request.
- Except as required to explain the basis of new information, an appeal shall be limited to review the most recent official hearing and supporting documents.
- All decisions made by the Chief of Safety & Security, or his/her designee will be considered the final decision.
For questions, contact the CNM Parking Services Department at (505) 224-4637.