Faculty & Service Learning
1. Learn what CNM Service Learning is.
Discover how Service Learning can help you meet your objectives in the classroom, talk with others who integrate Service Learning in their courses, read about Service Learning with the national links on our website.
2. Decide how to incorporate Service Learning into your syllabus.
Become familiar with the agencies and decide which agencies you will encourage or allow placements for your students. If you want a packet listing ONLY the agencies your students may choose from, our office will be happy to prepare that for you.
3. Introduce students to Service Learning in your class by yourself or with Service Learning staff help.
Let students know which agencies they may choose from (must be from CNM approved agency list) and what your requirements are.
4. Have interested students check the web site, read the information, and complete the online student orientation.
5. Students begin contacting agencies as soon as they attend orientation. Students must visit the agency at which they wish to work, agree on type of work and hours, provide a copy of their course syllabus and get their agency supervisor's signature on the CNM Service Learning Enrollment Form. This Enrollment Form must be turned in by the designated deadline.
6. As an instructor, you'll need to sign the Student Enrollment Form with your complete signature. Keep a copy of the form and the student needs to return the original to the Service Learning Office or their instructor.
7. During the term, keep Service Learning staff apprised of any concerns with students in Service Learning.
8. Usually, between week 10 and 12 of each semester, students must turn in their time sheets.
9. Incorporate classroom discussion of the experiences and growth of Service Learning students. (Optional, of course.)
If an instructor offers Service Learning, students must complete the online orientation in order to enroll in Service Learning. Orientation participation does not obligate you or guarantee acceptance in Service Learning.