Get Help Choosing a Career
Phone: (505) 224-3186
Are you undecided about your major?
Need help choosing a career?
Learn more about careers here and around the country that fit your academic goals by following the four steps. This is not a quick process because it takes time and research.
Step 1: Complete a Career Questionnaire
Explore career options that match your personality, interest, values, and skills by taking the FOCUS 2 or O*NET.
- FOCUS 2: Detailed career questionnaire that takes 1-2 hours to complete.
- O*NET Interest Profiler: Quick career questionnaire that takes 30 minutes to complete.
- Career Coach: 2 additional career questionnaires, 1 that takes 5 minutes and the other that takes 20 minutes to complete.
Step 2: Get More Information
Narrow down your career and educational choices.
- O*NET OnLine: Information about occupations, employment wages, job postings by state, and military skills applicable to the work environment. Learn about training and certificates by using Career Coach.
- More resources
Step 3: Develop a Career Plan
Based on your career questionnaire results, use the Career Reflection form to help make a decision. Consider the connections between your education and career path.
Step 4: Decide on a Career
- Gather the questionnaire and research results
- Make an appointment with an academic coach
- Discuss your results and determine how results fit in your CNM educational goals
- New Mexico Department of Labor: NM labor statistics
- US Department of Labor: National labor statistics
- Ferguson's Career Guidance: explore industries and
- Career Builder: Job search, upload resumes and cover letters
- Dr. Kit Career Videos: Search videos by career cluster or discipline, listen to employers talk about their typical day in the workplace, qualifications, likes and dislikes, education, and final advice
- Films on Demand: Streaming videos covering academic areas of study, vocational and career guidance, work place and life skills, job search.