Resources for Contributors
Web Team Help
Training is held regularly for employees interested in maintaining content on the CNM website.
Information about upcoming web writing workshops is sent out in News Link, but you can also submit a request for training.
Students, faculty, and staff come to the CNM website to complete tasks and find answers to questions. We want to make their visit as quick and efficient as possible.
As a website contributor on cnm.edu, you’ll be creating great content that is easy for our visitors to find and understand.
Great content is:
Writing for the Web
Following these guidelines will help you write and maintain effective web content.
Make Your Pages Easy to Scan
Readers on websites frequently scan content instead of reading. To make your pages easier to scan:
- Put important information at the top of the page.
- Use hyperlinks, bullets, and lists to create some visual white space.
- Use tables, numbers, and charts to convey information visually.
Edit Your Content
Most visitors to cnm.edu spend less than 30 seconds on each page. In that time, they’re skimming the content looking for information relevant to their needs. With that in mind, try following these writing tips:
- Write in short, simple sentences.
- Use language your visitors would use.
- Highlight task-oriented information.
- Use headings and subheadings to organize information (3-7 word headings work best).
- Avoid jargon and explain acronyms that might be confusing to readers.
- Proofread your content prior to publishing.
The text you use when creating hyperlinks should give a general description of the content on the target page. It should also be easy to understand when read out of context. Generally, links should:
- Be short and informative.
- Provide information even when read out of context.
- Explain what the link goes to.
- Not include phrases like "click here" or “follow this link.”