Tax Help New Mexico

Information on tax help, including scheduling, drive through service and virtual assistance.

Volunteer Opportunities for CNM Students

Find out how to become a volunteer for Tax Help New Mexico.

Our Location

United Way of Central New Mexico 
2340 Alamo Ave SE 
Albuquerque, NM 87106
Tax Help New Mexico is no longer scheduling appointments for the 2020-2021 tax season. All appointments have been booked.

You can still file your taxes virtually using Get Your Refund's website or My Free Taxes' website.

The IRS also has a variety of free-file software available on the IRS website.

With the generous support of the Wells Fargo Foundation, we are offering free tax filing with help from our local, IRS-certified volunteers. We provide this service to any individual or family with a household income of $56,000 or less. Trained volunteers will prepare and review your tax return before filing and make sure you receive any tax credits you qualify for. 

We are committed to continuing this service in accordance with statewide safety precautions.

Virtual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

You can use your mobile device or home computer to access and complete our free tax preparation service virtually using Get Your Refund's website. You will have to upload photos of your ID, answer some questions about your tax situation, and upload your tax documents. Then, one of our tax specialists will call you on the phone to discuss your taxes, answer any questions, and complete your filing.

What You May Need

  • Identification: Taxpayer(s) must have a photo ID (driver license, state-issued ID, passport, military ID, tribal ID) Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, your dependents or anyone else on your return
  • Income Forms: All W-2 forms and 1099 forms (Miscellaneous income, Interest, Dividends, etc.)
  • Proof of Healthcare: Forms 1095-A or exception number from healthcare marketplace
  • Expense Forms: All 1098 Forms (Mortgage and Tuition Statements), child or dependent care expenses, property tax payments
  • Prior Year Tax Return (if you have it)
  • Bank routing and account number (if you qualify for a refund and want a direct deposit)

Doing Your Own Taxes logo

If you would like to self-file your tax return online, you can visit MyFreeTaxes, a free software sponsored by United Way Worldwide and H&R Block. Through it, you can file a FREE simple federal and state return. Be cautious of added fees by opting into services such as a "CPA sign off" which include a cost. 

The IRS also has a variety of free-file software available on the IRS website.

Page updated 3/17/21