Credit for Military Training

If you are an active service member or veteran, you may qualify for credit towards your program of study.

Active Duty Service Members and Veterans

CNM will grant credit if you attended military service schools which have been evaluated by the Academic Review Tack Force of the American Council on Education (ACE) as well as select military schools that have undergone institutional reviews in order to award additional credits not recommended by ACE.

Get Credit for Your Military Training and Education

In order to receive credit, you must:

  • Be currently enrolled at CNM and have a declared program of study.
  • Request your official transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) or an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) for all other branches and have them submitted directly to the CNM Records Office.
  • Check below to see if your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) has already been reviewed.
    • Print and complete the corresponding form and follow the directions on it to proceed with your request.
    • If your MOS or CNM program is not listed, you may request a review of your military training from the Records Office. Please make sure that you have already submitted your JST or CCAF transcripts to CNM.
  • Provide the Separation Report, DD Form 214, only if no longer active.

CNM uses the American Council on Education's (ACE) Military Guide for evaluating training documented on the JST to determine equivalency to CNM courses.

Credit that transfers from CCAF can be found on the Transfer Evaluation System (TES).

Reviewed Military Occupations

Some military occupational specialty (MOS) codes have been reviewed for equivalency to specific CNM programs. If your program of study is listed below and your MOS matches those listed on the specific form, you may be eligible to earn credit towards your program.

To apply for credit based on your evaluated military occupation:

  1. Click on your program below.
  2. Print the Military Credit for Prior Learning form that opens and fill out your personal information.
  3. Pay the non-refundable processing fee of $25.00 at the Cashier's Office or online at the CNM CPL Store
  4. Submit the completed Military Credit for Prior Learning form, along with your JST and DD-214 (if applicable), and proof of payment to the Records Office.

Funding for Standardized Exams

Active duty service members and veterans interested in taking a standardized exam may be eligible for reimbursement of the associated costs.

To find out more about funding eligibility, please visit the Veterans Resource Center's Licensing and Certification website.

To see which exams are offered through CNM or to find out what scores must be earned in order to receive credit, please visit the Credit for Standardized Exams web-page.

Requesting Records from the Military

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

Active duty members of the armed forces can request a Joint Services Transcript (JST) and submit it to CNM. Air Force members can request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) and submit it to CNM to receive credit.

The JST program will provide a transcript for any service school, MOS, rating, NEC, or CLEP/DSST/ECE Examination listed that has been passed and carries American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Data can go back as far as 1976 but data older than 1994 may be missing or incomplete. It is recommended that you review the JST online for accuracy before submitting to CNM for credit review.

To see which CLEP or DSST exams and scores are accepted by CNM, please see the Credit for Standardized Exams website.

Separation Report

If you are no longer an active service member, you will need to provide the Separation Report, DD Form 214. Prior to 1950, this document may be referred to as the Separation Qualification Record, Notice of Separation, or Report of Separation, depending on the military branch you served. A photocopy of the original separation report should be submitted to the College. Do not submit the original.

If you are unable to find your original separation report, request a copy from The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records. Forward the copy to CNM Records Office. Members of the reserves or National Guard should contact their units for any necessary documentation.

Under certain circumstances, Central New Mexico Community College may accept the certification of a commissioned officer in the United States armed forces in lieu of a notary public’s signature.