Credit for Military Training & Occupations

If you are an active service member or veteran, you may qualify for credit towards your program of study.

Military Friendly SchoolCNM is dedicated to ensuring the success of our active duty and veteran students. If you attended a military service school, received training, or served in an occupation specialty you may be able to earn credit towards your program at CNM.

1. Check Your Eligibility

In order to request credit or an evaluation of your military experiences, you must:

  • Be accepted as a student at CNM
  • Have a declared program of study to which the credit awarded will apply
  • Request your official Joint Service Transcript (JST) and have it submitted directly to the CNM Grad & Eval Office if you are or were a member of the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, or Reserves
    • Members of the Air Force can find additional details below, under Additional Information

2. See If Your Training or Occupations Have Already Been Evaluated

Some military training and occupations have been reviewed for equivalency to specific CNM programs or courses. If your occupation or training is listed and the credit awarded can be applied to your program of study, follow the process below.

  1. Review the list of Military Trainings and Occupations that have already been found equivalent to CNM courses by selecting your branch below:
  2. If your training/occupation is listed, verify the credit awarded is required for your program. If your training/occupation is not listed, submit a Request for Evaluation of Your Military Learning Experiences below.
  3. Download the appropriate Credit for Military Training and Occupations Form (linked above) and fill out your personal information.
  4. Pay the non-refundable processing fee of $25.00 at the Cashier's Office or online at the CNM CPL Store.
  5. Submit the completed Credit for Military Training and Occupations form and proof of payment to the Grad & Eval Office.

3. Request an Evaluation of Your Military Learning Experiences

If your military occupation or training is not listed on one of the forms linked above, you may submit a request for an evaluation of your military training through the Grad & Eval Office. Simply print the Request for Evaluation of Prior Learning form and follow the directions.

* Please make sure that you have already submitted your JST to CNM before making the request. See below for more information on how to request your Joint Services Transcript.

CNM uses the American Council on Education's (ACE) Military Guide for evaluating training documented on the JST to determine equivalency to CNM courses for all branches of the military, except the Air Force. As new equivalencies are identified, they will be added to the appropriate form above.

Additional Information

Air Force Service Members

Members of the Air Force should request their official transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) and have them submitted directly to the CNM Grad & Eval Office for an evaluation of traditional transfer credit. Additional credit may be earned through other CPL Assessment methods and requests for evaluation of Career & Technical Education training/courses.

Credit that transfers from CCAF of Air U can be found on the Transfer Evaluation System (TES). Additional evaluation of transfer credit may be requested if not already evaluated for transfer.

* Air Force members can request an official transcript from any Air University (AU), such as the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), and submit it to CNM to receive traditional transfer credit. Transcripts are reviewed for general education transfer credit. Students will need to submit a Request for Evaluation of Career & Technical Education in order for their transcripts to be forwarded to the academic schools to evaluate additional training and courses.

Funding for Standardized Exams

Active duty service members and veterans interested in taking a standardized exam may be eligible for reimbursement of the associated costs.

To find out more about funding eligibility, please visit the Veterans Resource Center's Licensing and Certification website.

To see which exams are offered through CNM or to find out what scores must be earned in order to receive credit, please visit the Credit for Standardized Exams web-page.

Requesting Joint Services Transcript (JST)

Members of the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine Corps can request a Joint Services Transcript (JST) and submit it to CNM; this includes active duty, retired, veteran, and reserves.

The Joint Services Transcript Program will provide a transcript for any service school, MOS, rating, NEC, or CLEP and DSST Examination listed that has been passed and carries American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Data can go back as far as 1976 but data older than 1994 may be missing or incomplete. It is recommended that you review the JST online for accuracy before submitting it to CNM for credit review.

Requesting Your CLEP and DSST Exam Scores

To order CLEP or DSST transcripts showing passing scores for exams you have already taken, please order them directly through the Parchment website.

If you are taking a DSST exam and would like for the exam score report to be sent directly to CNM, use school code: 9734.

To see which CLEP or DSST exams and scores are accepted by CNM, please see the Credit for Standardized Exams website and look for the specific exam policy.

Veterans Resource Center

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides resources and help for veterans and their families who currently attend or plan to attend CNM. Please visit the CNM VRC website to find out more.


Hard-copy transcripts are considered official when they arrive in a sealed, stamped, official envelope with the seal and any other security feature intact. Electronic transcripts are considered official when received from a secure site formally linked to the sending institution or testing service. Academic records received in any other condition, such as transcripts that arrive in an unsealed envelope, that you email or upload yourself, or that are printed from the school portal, are not considered official.