Student Complaint Process
Review Complaint and Appeals Types
Submit a Student Complaint
If you have questions or need assistance, contact us.
While attending CNM, you may encounter a problem on campus that you do not know how to resolve. When this happens, you should always try to work out the problem by first discussing it with those most involved with your issue.
Dealing with concerns in the most direct and honest fashion should always be the first step toward resolution. Most issues are settled and problems resolved when a you make an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicate your frustrations or concerns.
If an issue or problem is not resolved, there is a formal complaint process at CNM that you may initiate. All formal complaints must be put in writing using the official CNM Student Complaint Form.
Filing a Formal Complaint
When initiating a formal complaint, follow these steps:
- Be sure you have first attempted to resolve the issue by speaking directly with the individual(s) or office(s) involved.
- Complete and submit a CNM Student Complaint Form.
- When the complaint is received, it will be forwarded to the appropriate individual to review and address the issue.
- After the complaint is forwarded to the appropriate individual, academic school or department you will receive a follow-up call or email from the relevant department to offer assistance in addressing your concern.
For information regarding issues or concerns that are not covered by this process (such as issues of sexual harassment, grade appeals, student to student complaints) please refer to the CNM Catalog or Student Handbook, or contact the Dean of Students Office.
Complaint Process Definitions
The complaint process is based on the following definitions:
- Complaint: A written concern or formal charge of dissatisfaction with a person, service, or process that requires clarification, investigation, and resolution.
- Level I Complaint: A verbal complaint that is resolved. Will not be tracked.
- Level II Complaint: A written complaint, based upon the complaint definition that requires a student’s signature. If a form is submitted without a student’s name, the complaint will not be considered. Level II complaints will be tracked to ensure an action has been taken.
- Exclusions: The Student Complaint Process does not apply to grade appeals, complaints of sexual harassment, or any student to student complaints. Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct for procedures regarding these types of complaints. In addition, outcomes of appeal processes are not subject to further consideration through this process.
- Instructions: Complete the Student Input Form, which submits your comments to the Dean of Students.
Sometimes CNM students are particularly pleased with how something has been handled for them, how they were assisted by a particular staff member, the positive experience they had in a specific class, or some other outstanding thing that happened to them at CNM. Please send an email to the Dean of Students and we will ensure that the note is forwarded to the appropriate individual or office.