1401 Basehart Road SE,
Find us on Main Campus near the corner of University and
Phone: (505) 224-4375
TRIO Student Support Services was awarded to CNM in October 2001 through a competitive U.S. Department of Education (USDE) grant award process. Some landmark dates include:
- October 2014: TRIO Student Support Services grant competition, 5 year grant cycle.
- September 2013: Due to federal sequestration,TRIO had to the eliminate biology/chemistry tutor position.
- October 2012: Celebration event, 10 years+ TRIO Alumni event at CNM.
- Summer 2011: Moved to Basehart #4 temporary building for an estimated three years. Still maintaining offices, tutoring space and student computer lab there.
- 2010–2015: Successful grant competition secured five years of funding.
- Fall 2005: Moved department from the Student Services Center to the South Building at Main campus. This move created more tutoring space, computer lab, scanners, a Xerox copier, and a private conference room area.
- Fall 2005: TRIO added biology and chemistry tutorial services.
- 2005–2009: Successful grant competition secured five more years of funding.
- Fall 2004: Created TAG (TRIO Achievers Group) student club for student leadership and community service opportunities.
- 2001–2005: During the first 4 years (1st grant cycle) an English tutor position was added to tutoring subjects and we began the TRIO graduation banquet tradition.
Magda Martinez-Baca, Director of TRIO Student Support Services, has been an advocate for educational opportunity throughout her career. Prior to her work with TRIO, she worked in New Mexico and Texas with educational grant programs. She is a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin and received her bachelor's degree in Psychology. She is also a graduate of Texas A&M University-Kingsville and received her Master of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology.
TRIO Achievement Coach
Rob Carriaga is our Achievement Coach and is a first-generation college graduate with a double-major bachelor's degree in Communication and Psychology and a master's degree in Counseling. He has worked for over 10 years in higher education as an educational advisor, counselor, and adjunct instructor of Communication studies.
Jimi Sanchez is a native New Mexican and TRIO Alumni. He came back to school as a 45 year old freshman and has received his Bachelors in Science in the Organization, Information and Learning Sciences. He is continuing his education at the University of New Mexico to obtain his Master's Degree and is also a McNair Scholar. He is well versed in the culture of adult education.
Administrative Technical Assistant
Willie Smoker is our Office Manager and is a CNM graduate. He graduated in 2001 with an Associate's degree in Liberal Arts and a certificate in Pharmacy Technician, both with honors. He enjoys assisting students along their path to graduation and sees the TRIO program as an excellent platform to do so.