Request an IRS Transcript

IRS transcript request

How do I request an IRS transcript request with line items if I don't have my federal tax returns to complete the FAFSA?

Tax filers can request from the IRS an IRS Tax Return Transcript or an IRS Tax Account Transcript of their IRS tax return, free of charge, in one of two ways.

Online Request

  • Got to
  • In the Tools section of the homepage click "Order a Return or Account Transcript"
    Click "Order a Transcript"
  • In the Type of Transcript field, select "Return Transcript" and in the Tax Year field, select the tax year.

Telephone Request

  • Available from the IRS by calling (800) 908-9946
  • Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed either through the IRS or the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer's social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code.
  • Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the tax year.