Degree Works

Stay on track to graduate using Degree Works.

The latest version of Degree Works includes a brand new look and feel, learn more from our What's New FAQ.

Degree Works is an online tool that you can use to plan out your degree or certificate.

Access Degree Works

To access Degree Works, log in to your myCNM account and click the “Degree Works” link on the Registration Tab.


If you have additional questions about Degree Works, contact an advisor.

Using Degree Works

Benefits of using Degree Works:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your certificate and/or degree.
  • View individual course grades and cumulative grade-point average (GPA).
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and how they apply to your program.
  • View registration holds, registration date and time, academic standing.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another certificate or degree using the “What-If” option.

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.

You cannot change your major or register from Degree Works. Registration will continue within myCNM.

Program Evaluation

A Degree Works Program Evaluation is a review of past, current, and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a certificate or degree.

Degree Works uses the information that is currently on your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed, registered for, or transferred by the date your Program Evaluation was last refreshed (data is refreshed every night). Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your Program Evaluation.

Review Program Requirements

Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete. You can also select the “Registration Checklist” view within Degree Works to see only unmet requirements.

If you think your Program Evaluation is incorrect, Advisement is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, they will contact Enrollment Services for assistance.

Missing Transfer Work

There could be two reasons why transfer work does not meet a requirement. First, the course did not meet the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, the requirement may have been met by another course and this course is simply not needed.

Course Substitutions

To resolve any course substitution issues, contact your academic school. Any waivers, substitutions, or exceptions for major or concentration requirements must be communicated to the Enrollment Services department by the academic school.

Wild Card

If you see a subject code followed by two numbers and separated by a colon, this is a wild card in Degree Works. If it appears after a subject code (for example “ANTH1101:2999”), it means that you can take any course with that subject code (any course in Anthropology).

Course Plan Tab

The Course Plan tab is a tool for you and your advisor to arrange course requirements into future terms. It is recommended that you have an active plan and work with your advisor to keep it up-to-date, as this information may be used by college administrators to determine the demand for various courses each term.

Your advisor can see your plan and participate with you in the planning process. There is also a “Notes” feature for you and your advisor to keep additional information. Your advisor will lock your plan after discussing it with you. Once your plan is locked, you will need to return to your advisor to make any changes to that plan.

Your Course Plan tab is for planning purposes only. You will still need to register through myCNM. If you discover that a course you had planned is not being offered, you should identify an alternative course and take the original course, if still needed, in a future term.

Check Your GPA

Your overall GPA is the cumulative average grade for the coursework completed at CNM. Transfer credit and courses taken for Credit/No Credit are not counted in your GPA. The overall GPA is found at the top left hand corner of the “Course Plan” tab. It is below your name and student ID. The program GPA is found near the top right corner of the audit before the course requirements.

What-If Option

The What-If function allows you to hypothetically change your program. The What-If audit will show you what coursework is required for a different certificate or degree, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

The last 5 What-If audits are saved automatically. To view past What-Ifs, click the “What If History” tab on the left. The What-If function is for information purposes only.

Always speak with an advisor before initiating any changes based on a What-If scenario. After consulting with your advisor, please complete the process to change your major.

GPA Calculator

The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in anticipated grade information. By putting your in-progress courses in the table along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course, you will see a revised GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Please Note: Some grades do not count in your GPA. These grades include CR, NC, TR, and TRD. If you have a course that is graded in this manner (i.e., any course below the 1000level, or any course you took as Credit/No Credit), you will need to remove it from the list of classes as it will give you an inaccurate GPA.

Your calculated GPA is an estimate only; it is not guaranteed.

How to Print

You can save or print your Degree Works certificate or degree program evaluation by using the “Save as PDF” button. You may need Adobe Acrobat Writer to save your evaluation.

When to Check Degree Works

You should review your audit at least four times a term.

You should always review your audit

  • before you meet with your advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming term;
  • after you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements as you expected (remember that courses you register for today show up in Degree Works tomorrow);
  • after your grades for each term are posted; and
  • any time you make a change to your schedule or major.


Degree Works cannot account for all the contingencies in the requirements for completion of a program. If you meet all requirements and have not applied to graduate, go to the Graduation Tab in myCNM, or click the “Graduation Application” link in Degree Works.

Incorrect or Missing Information

If you feel your Degree Works is incorrect or missing information, there could be several reasons information may not be correct. One reason is that Degree Works may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly).

Secondly, there could be some paperwork that still needs to be completed. For example, if you are transferring from another college, it is possible that CNM has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending review. 

Hard-copy transcripts are considered official when they arrive in a sealed, stamped, official envelope with the seal and any other security feature intact. Electronic transcripts are considered official when received from a secure site formally linked to the sending institution or testing service. Academic records received in any other condition, such as transcripts that arrive in an unsealed envelope, that you email or upload yourself, or that are printed from the school portal, are not considered official.

Some additional concerns may be:

My degree and/or certificate is wrong on my program evaluation.

If you have not officially changed your program of study, contact an advisor for instructions. If you have already officially changed your program of study, the Degree Works audit will only display your active degree and/or certificate audit. If your change is effective for a future term, the change may not show up until that term begins. You can also run a What-If for your new program.

The requirements for my degree and/or certificate are wrong.

Look at the catalog term that appears on the degree and/or certificate requirements block of the audit. According to our records, this is the catalog that you are using to complete your program requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, contact an advisor.

My transfer courses don't appear in the right place.

If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the program evaluation, contact an advisor. Classes are not applying in the right place. DegreeWorks uses a “best fit” approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact an advisor.

My Program Director or Associate Dean gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit.

Talk with your school advisor. Once exceptions are approved by the dean’s office of the school, the change is then sent to Enrollment Services for processing. The entire process can take several weeks to complete.

Contact Enrollment Services or Advisement if there is an error that is not listed and you need additional assistance.