- Paralegal Studies, Associate of Applied Science
- Paralegal Studies, Post Degree Certificate of Completion
Paralegal Studies Program
The Paralegal Studies program prepares students for entry into the legal profession. Paralegals are skilled professionals who perform substantive legal tasks under the supervision of a licensed attorney. Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law. Responsibilities include interviewing and assisting clients and witnesses, investigation, data analysis, drafting legal documents, research, litigation support, and case management. The Paralegal Studies program is approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
Paralegal Goals and Objectives
The goal of the CNM Paralegal Studies program is to provide quality education and training to qualified men and women so that they might assist the legal profession in rendering more economical and efficient legal services to a greater number of persons. The following objectives support this goal:
- Understand the various functions and roles of a paralegal in a variety of legal specialty areas
- Knowledge of substantive and procedural law and the legal system
- Knowledge of the ethical responsibilities affecting paralegals and attorneys with emphasis on the prohibitions against unauthorized practice of law
- Master effective communication skills; oral, interpersonal, and written
- Demonstrate proficiency in using technology, including performing legal research
Students Will Gain Skills
- Legal Case Preparation
- Client Relations
- The Legal System
Contact Us for more information.