Vet Success at CNM
CNM VetSuccess provides an experienced Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor directly on campus to assist & support veteran students and their eligible family members. The office reports directly to the Dean of Students.
VetSuccess Counselor, J.R. Romero, serves as a one-stop liaison for all Veterans and Active Duty Service members attending CNM.
He has offices at CNM's Main and Montoya Campuses. If you are a Veteran, active duty military or an eligible family member who attends or plans to attend CNM, please call or come by and meet with him.
J.R. Romero, VRC, MRC
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Veteran Crisis: (800) 273-8255
VetSuccess Campus Counseling
In addition to the VetSuccess on Campus Services, CNM was selected by the VA in Washington D.C. to host a pilot program that addresses the needs of veterans diagnosed with both Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
This model program allows the VetSuccess on Campus Counselor to provide a continuity of services between the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), Veterans Hospital Administration (VHA), and CNM. The expected outcome is that this program will provide immediate benefit and increased success for veterans with both TBI and PTSD in reintegration into society, education, suitable employment, and other life goals.
VetSuccess Peer Mentoring Opportunities
The Veterans Resource Center organizes and hosts several brown-bag lunch workshops every month. Our workshops provide CNM students with information about VA resources on campus and the community as well as information about mentoring opportunities.
- Information on VA education benefits such as Post 911 GI Bill, Chapters 30, 32, & 35
- Explore vocations and select a suitable major / career
- Elect your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare Administration
- Access, understand and apply for VA benefits (e.g., Disability Compensation, Life Insurance Home Loan Guaranty, and Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Get referrals for medical and mental health care
- Get referrals for readjustment counseling services for eligible Veterans and their families
- Coordinate with school faculty/staff to provide Veteran-specific services (e.g., VA Certifying Official, Career Center, Student Disabilities Services, Counseling Center)
- Find job placement assistance and coordinate with Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans' Outreach Programs (DVOP)
- Locate community and other resources
- Adjustment Counseling
- Linking veterans to other community agencies
Access to Services
CNM students with documented disabilities are entitled to equal access to educational experiences through federal legislation known as the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended. As CNM faculty and staff members, please be familiar with the rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities and the accommodations that they are entitled to at CNM.